Quora is a question and answer based web site. Where users ask questions, edit them and organized them by the users in the community. It is based in Mountain View, California. Users of this site can collaborate by editing questions and suggesting edits to answers that are submitted by other users.
History of Quora
Quora was first founded by two Facebook Ex-employees, Charlie Cheever and Adam D’Angelo. Quora is a website where people find answers to obscure questions and explore complex topics in-depth.
Using the site requires a user’s real information and details rather than an internet screen name. Although verification of names isn’t required anyway, but false names are being reported by the community. This was done with the declared intent of adding credibility to answers. Users with certain amount of activity on the website have the ability to write their answers anonymously. But not really by default.
Quora Users Requirement
Users might also need to login with their Google or Facebook accounts with the OpenID protocol. Users can upvote or downvote answers and also suggest edits to the present answers provided by other users. The site community includes some well-known people, such as Richard A. Muller, Jimmy Wales, Adrian Lamo and Barack Obama. The site developed its own proprietary algorithm to rank answers, which works effectively like the Google PageRank. Quora makes use of the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud technology to host the servers that run its website. Presently Quora has four different ways to recommend questions to its users and these are:
- Home feed questions recommendations: Using this method, every users will have a timeline that has been personalized to their preferences. Quora also provides some interesting questions that are applicable to the user’s preferences. This leads the user to either answering the question or refers another user to better answer it.
- Ask to Answer: This features enables the user to recommend another user. That they feel is fit or better suit the answer to the question.
- Related Questions: With this method, whether the user is online or not. A set of questions that relates to the current questions are recommended and being displayed on the side. This helps the user to navigate through the questions and find what is more relevant to their preference.
- Daily Digest: In this method, Quora sends a daily email to its users containing a set of questions. Also with one answer that is considered the answer given some certain ranking requirements.
It allows its users to create user profile. Where they can add their photo, real names, topics to follow, questions answered by them, number of their followers and so many more. Users can choose to keep settings private. Each user with a user profile has access to activity feed which has topics of interests to the user. In disparity with other major information sites, Quora places restrictions on anonymity. Quora also allow questions and answers being posted anonymously. But it does now allow anonymous comments being posted as direct response to answers.
Having account with this wonderful site will make your learning on the site easier and faster. There are three different ways to open an account with the site and these are by Google, Email or Facebook.
- Launch any web browser on your PC or mobile.
- Type in Quora.com
- Click sign up
- Then select the one you would like to login with
- Provide your details and click continue.
- On the main page, click on sign in
- Enter your email address or you click on Google or Facebook depending on the one you created the account with.
- Enter your password if you use an Email address.